Kirkja is one of two villages on the island of Fugloy.
‘Kirkja’ means ‘church’ and ‘Fugloy’ means ‘bird-island’ in Faeroese.
The village is located on the south-tip of the island. From here there is a beautiful view over the sound Fugloyarfjørður towards the impressive capes of Svínoy.
Fugloy is dominated by bird-cliffs on the west-, north- and east-side. On the south side the coast is lower
and therefore more suitable for habitation.
The village is called ’Church’ after a church on this location in the middle ages.
The current church in Kirkja is from 1933.