Sandur is the largest village on the island Sandoy.
Sandur means ‘Sand’ and Sandoy means ‘Sandy-island’. There are more sand and beach areas on Sandoy than on the other islands.
Excavations have shown that around year 1000 a stave church was standing where the present church is standing now.
After that 4 other churches stood there in turn until the present church was built in 1839.
In 1988 a deliberately started fire destroyed parts of the old wooden church. All the silver in the church melted.
The church was restored and re-consecrated in 1989 in connection with its 150 years anniversary.
In 1865 a silver-treasure was found during an expansion of the graveyard. It consisted of 98 silver-coins from the 11th century. Half the coins were German and the treasure had been hid under the floor in a normal house.
To the west of Sandur there is a hole in the ground called ‘Givrinarhol’ witches cave.
Tradition says that a man from Sandur once entered the cave in order to find the witch. On the bottom of the cave he saw the witch. She was grinding gold in a mill. On the floor a child was playing with a golden rattle. The witch was blind and also she did not hear the man. He crept towards the mill and stole the gold. After that he took the rattle from the child and hit it in the head (of some reason?). The child started crying and the witch jumped on her feet and trembled around the cave in order to find the intruder. But he was already out of the cave at a gallop on his horse towards the village with the gold. Another witch chased him and got hold of the horses tail but it broke of. All of a sudden the church was in sight and the man was out of danger. By the witches cave it is still possible to hear the old witch grinding gold on her mill deep down in the cave.